Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Welcome Kaden James

Kaden James Reynolds

 November 6, 2014


I was getting ready to take my last pregnancy photo for the chalkboard, but at 40 weeks I was too tired to do one.    That was on my due date November 5th, and I went into labor early the next morning around 2:30.   I was certain that Kaden was gonna come in Birmingham just because it would be mine and Matt's luck to have a baby out of town, but thankfully he listened and camped out another week because it must be so comfortable in there.   Dr. Fiore asked if I wanted to be induced and Matt and I both decided we wanted to let him decide to come out on his own.  So if he hadn't made an appearance by Monday, we would be induced on November 10.

So here is my labor story:   It was Wednesday (my due date) and I was getting very antsy and frustrated with being at home pregnant waiting on this kid.  That night laying in bed I looked at Matt and said I was so done with being pregnant and he said well maybe he'll make his appearance tonight.  Everyone else was banking on it as well because Thursday night there was a full moon.  So, all the stars aligned and I woke up with contractions at 2:30.  They were not full blown contractions at this point so I wasn't really sure if I needed to wake Matt up.   So I went back to bed and 30 minutes later they were coming about 1-2 minutes apart and were much more painful.  I also had to go to the bathroom and found my mucus plug had come out (sorry for the details, but I'd like to remember this later....don't ask me why).  I went back to bed and woke Matt up and asked if he had a bag packed, and of course he said "no, should I?"   Here's where I'm thinking to myself, Matt I am 40 weeks pregnant....why do you not have a bag packed?  So, I said I think we need to go to the hospital, and he then asks "Do I have time to take a shower?"  Yes Matt, I'm not going to have the baby right this moment, but don't take your time.

By 4:00 we were in the car headed to the hospital with flashers on (courtesy of Matt, who I later said those are really not necessary).  When we arrived at the hospital we made it up to floor 2, and asked to check in.  The secretary casually asked if we were being induced or having a c-section and when we said no, she said I'll be with you in a minute.   I don't believe this woman realized I was having contractions a couple minutes apart.  As soon as she did, she perked up and finally called a nurse and started doing our paper work.  I guess I was much more call than the average pregnant lady in labor and she couldn't tell....

We got settled in a room by about 4:30 and the nurse hooked me up to some I-V's and put those lovely bands around my belly to keep track of Kaden's heartbeat and my contractions.  She checked me and I was about 4cm.  At this point contractions are getting very intense and the nurse asks if I want an epidural, which since my last experience in labor I'm not a hero so I said yes.   Problem is, the lab work was running 2 hours behind so I ended up not getting an epidural till about 6:45.  It made for a miserable 2 hours, but I really appreciated it when I got it.

About 10 minutes after the epidural, Dr. Fiore came in for his normal rounds and he happened to have a patient that morning.  Over the course of the pregnancy Dr. Fiore has joked how I've made it very easy for him, including my arrival time and labor.  When he checked me I was at 6 now and he was planning on breaking my water, but it broke when he checked me, so just another convenience.  Fiore mentioned we should have a lunch baby, maybe a brunch baby. 

The nurse said she would let me rest, come back in about 2 hours and check me again.  Around 8:45 I felt a lot of pressure and more water leaking out which I thought was odd.  This epidural didn't take all the way, but it got rid of my contraction pain.  However, I felt her put my cathadure in and I thought that is what was hurting me.  A stand in nurse was checking on my belly bands and I asked her to check me because I felt a lot of pressure, when she did she said there was "nothing there".  I looked at Matt and said "is that supposed to mean I'm fully dilated??"   She went to get Haley, my assigned nurse and she checked and said I was ready to push.  So Dr. Fiore was called and sat down on his rolly chair at 9:00.  9:04 Kaden was born.  As I said before, the epidural wasn't working around my pelvis so I felt everything when he was coming out.  His head took 3 pushes and after the 2nd push I stopped having a contraction and was told to rest.  Dr. Fiore however must have seen my face and asked if I wanted to go ahead a push through it.  In a enormous amount of pain, I said yes and continued pushing.  At this point, we're waiting on the shoulders.  One of the first things people noticed about Kaden was how big his chest and shoulders were....my response, "I know".   4th push, shoulders and the rest of baby Kaden made his arrival.  8 pounds 10 ounces and 19 1/2 inches long.

One great thing about the labor and delivery room at Huntsville is it is a very spacious room and they now keep the baby there to assess him and give him a bath in the room rather than going to the nursery.  So while Dr. Fiore finished up his handy work I was able to watch Kaden which was nice instead of them wheeling my baby off while I got sit in a room by myself.





 Our labor and delivery room overlooked Shannon's House


Wonderful nurse Haley
 

 Contraction Tracker


  I had just gotten the epidural at this point and was feeling good


Ready to meet you and your bands and first diaper waiting for you
 


First meeting
 






Sweet little hands and face
 







 Getting a bath and assessment





 Kipton's first meeting






Happy to see my buddy
 


Sweet little man
 




 Doctor Kipton checking on things



 Hanging out in L&D waiting on a room.  It was a full moon that night, so hospital was a little booked.


 

Wreath hanger courtesy of Aunt Paula




























 Kipton showing off Mollie to his best buddy, Mollie


















Love you so much and glad your finally here!

No comments:

Post a Comment