Saturday, July 16, 2011

Changing Table/Dresser

So here is my latest baby room project, drum roll please.....the Changing Table/Dresser.  This was a big deal to me because I didn't want to mess it up.  :)    This old dresser came from an estates sale a few years ago where my mother bought them for a wedding gift for me and Matt.  This piece, a bed, and another dresser was our first bedroom set as newlyweds.  I convinced Matt to buy new bedroom furniture for us about a year ago so the old estate sale pieces were kicked out to the spare bedroom.  So instead of just sitting in our spare bedroom as a drab old piece of furniture...I thought it would be perfect for Kipton's room!

So here she is....the antique, pure wood dresser.  This really is a beautiful piece of furniture with details all over it, including the really neat key holes for the drawers but sadly I don't have them...their long gone.


See the detail and key holes!


 A little scratched on the top too, but nothing a good sanding won't fix!

So what I did was sand this baby down to her bare essentials.


I also had to use some wood filler to patch a big dent in one of the drawers.









After a good sanding, I stained her not once but twice for that dark wood color I was looking for.


Stain number 1...


Stain number 2...





After staining, this is were I was taking a risk.  I new I wanted some blue on the dresser, but it really scared me to think of painting this beautiful piece of furniture.  But, I decided to take a leap of faith and I painted the dresser drawers blue and left everything else stained.


I was very pleased with my decision!  :)





After painting the drawers blue, I gave them the ole' distressed look and added some new knobs. (that I got at Hobby Lobby for 50% mind you!)







So after a lot of sweat and worry, here is the final product!  This baby is going to see a lot of dirty diapers.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment