Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Don't Judge a Cabinet Door by it's Cover

So while I was wondering through the Nashville Flea Market back in May, my friend Christine and I stumbled upon some old cabinet doors.  I can't remember the exact price, but I'm pretty sure we brought him down to buying 3 for $20....so around $6 a piece.    I got a smaller one (the green) and a larger one (the white).




Here's what I decided to do with the little gems....


First I stripped them with some harsh chemicals, and yes I took extra precautions since I'm preggo.




Then, I sanded them down as best as I could.




After a good buffering, I stained them both a dark walnut brown.


After staining, I painted them two different colors of blue, because I didn't want them to match completely.  So this just makes them coordinate very well together.


After letting the paint dry, I distressed the edges and a few other areas to give it that rustic look.



I forgot to take pictures of the once green cabinet door, so here is the white one.


On one cabinet door I found so hooks from Hobby Lobby that were %50 off!  So, they were $2.50 a piece after discount.  I screwed this little babies in and voila!!  A cute, rustic looking coat rack!  (or whatever you want to hang on it...not necessarily coats)  :)


So here she is, the little green door turned into fantastic rustic blue coat rack! 



One the other cabinet door, I decided to get creative.  I've seen all those expensive stencil type planks you can buy and I decided to do my own.  I painted on this verse for my little Kipton and this will hang over the changing table.  I thought the verse needed a little extra something, so I also painted a cross.

Here it is!



No comments:

Post a Comment